Friday, July 29, 2011

Hank is 6 weeks old!

I definitely can't keep up weekly updates on Hank (so don't expect any more) but this one felt like a milestone. By the time Johnny was born, I had read every baby book known to man. (<-- That's an exaggeration, but it certainly felt like it.) One thing these books all said is that fussiness and crying will peak at 6 weeks and then get better. So if you can make it through the first six weeks, you'll be fine.

I spent the first six weeks of Johnny's life willing them to go faster and wanting to attack people's throats Roadhouse-style when they would say "Cherish every moment because it goes so fast!!"

I don't think Johnny was particularly difficult (well, he did hate sleeping), but he cried all the time; probably because I had NO clue what I was doing. Plus I was exhausted from Johnny's lack of sleep and all of the holiday festivities surrounding Johnny's birthday (Christmas and New Years... two biggies). Plus I was BORED. No one tells you how absolutely boring newborns are. When they are awake, they are crying or eating. You can't do too much with them for fear they will be overstimulated and then will sleep even less than they already do.

Hank, on the other hand, has been so much easier than Johnny. Is he any different? Not really. He is a finicky sleeper already and can't handle being on his back to sleep, but this time I know what I'm doing and I have a pretty awesome toddler to keep me occupied so I'm never bored. The first six weeks have actually gone by pretty quickly... however you won't find me telling any other sleep-deprived first-time moms to "cherish every moment."

By this point, Hank is starting to smile when I do and sleeps great at night... the night sleep thing is a whole other post... I'm working on it. He weighed in at 12lbs 4oz at my postpartum appointment yesterday, which means he is doing just fine. Obviously no trouble eating, that's for sure. He is so strong that I can't use a regular receiving blanket to swaddle him, he's been in the Miracle Blanket from the beginning. Hank the Tank indeed.

Yes, I know I should put up a picture... but I'm way too lazy to find the camera and upload one. Maybe later.

No comments:

Post a Comment